- Membership dues are now only $20, an invoice has been mailed out and reminders for unpaid accounts will be sent on February 15th
- Results of 5th Annual 50 West / Ocelot Classic Brewing Competition are now posted (for more details see http://50westbrewclub.com/comp/ ). A great big Thank You, to everyone who assisted with the planning, setting up, running, and cleaning up of this year’s very successful competition.
- Best Club (15 Participating Clubs) was won by 50 West – Fantastic job
|2nd||Stafford Brewers Club (SBC)||2||1||0||11.02|
|3rd||James River Homebrewers||2||0||1||10.02|
Upcoming beer events
- 3RD Annual HOWL & Solace Brewing Company Wort Share Competition will be held on May 3, 2020. For more details see https://www.facebook.com/events/558474861544651/
- Washington DC Jambeeree event – collaborative club event hosted by BURP with participation of DC Homebrewers and GRIST; held on Saturday, February 22nd at Three Stars Brewery
- Homebrew Con is scheduled June 18 – 20 in Nashville TN. You can book your hotel now at a discounted rate. For more details see https://www.homebrewcon.org/
- Tickets are on sale for the Brewers Association SAVOR, which will be held on May 15, 2020 at Anthem, Washington D.C., which features 118 brewers and highlighting the interplay of craft beer and food pairings. For more details see http://savorcraftbeer.com
- First ever Great American Beer Festival (GABF) was held in 1981, Colorado — now America’s oldest and largest beer tasting and competition event
- DC Beer Fest will be held on April 25, 2020 at the Nationals Park, Washington, DC – For more details see https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dc-beer-fest-tickets-84057627627?aff=ebdssbdestsearch
Mark Schaad gave a presentation entitled “Tools, Gadgets and Gizmos”, which keep everyone guessing on the thingamabob (Technical term for a doo-hickey). Once he defined what a Gadget was (A small mechanical or electronic device or tool, especially an ingenious or novel one) we were off to the races with demonstrations of a variety things, such as one way value for kegs (solves backflow issues), Thermo-well (getting true temperatures in the fermenter), Counter pressure beer gun (only way to fill a bottle but, not for target practice), Plaato (CO2 counter for those who need to know their beers carbon footprint), Bucket in a bucket sparge system (old school for new school applications), and the Digital scale (replaces the bathroom scale for more accuracy).